Saturday, February 28

Twitter vs The Dark Ages

I just learned that there are quite a few small business owners who have revenue in the 1 to 2 million range, maybe more, and they don’t even have email. This really shocks me. I guess it’s naive of me, but knowing how easy and cheap it is to set up a website and an email account, I am really surprised that there are still businesses that don’t avail themselves of this basic business tool.

For $5 per month and a few hours with the free software that many hosting services give you, you can create a simple brochure website about who you are, what your business is all about, and how people can contact you. Forget about getting on the first page of a google category search, someone should at least be able to type in your business name and find out some basic contact information.

This revelation came from a conversation I had today with a friend who is a business broker. He’s like a real estate broker but instead of homes, he helps people sell their business. He was telling me that quite a few of his clients don’t bother with setting up a website and a surprising number don’t even have email (or if they have email they rarely check it). These small business owners do virtually all their communicating face-to-face or with the postal service, faxes and telephone. That’s the way they have been doing it for 30 years and they see no reason to change.

Backing up a little bit, while driving to meet my friend for coffee this morning I caught a few minutes of a segment on NPR about technophobes. They were talking with Daniel Shore about Twitter and how people use it. I missed the first part of the show so I’m not sure how they define a technophobe, maybe anyone who isn’t into social networking. Now, I certainly don’t consider myself a technophobe, far from it. I love technology. My first computer was a 128k Mac that I bought in 1984. It wasn’t long thereafter that I signed up for a dialup AOL account and have been using email ever since.

However, I do not have a posse who anxiously await a tweet about what I’m wearing today, or which Starbucks I’m sitting at this very instant. I guess if you’re that much of an extrovert and can’t operate without constant reinforcement, well, to each his own. But what I find amazing is that the spectrum has broadened so much that there are young people now who are literally in constant electronic contact with their crew, and I mean constant, and at the other end of the spectrum there are people running multi-million dollar small businesses without even an email account much less a website. They probably just recently broke down and got cellphones.

Part of the reason I avoid things like Twitter is I can relate to this sense of being too “available” at times. When I have to travel to Asia for a project, the flight is about 12 hours and I’m usually flying alone. The week or two just prior to the trip is always hectic with prep work, meetings, emails and phone calls to China. When I finally get on to the plane and get in my seat, I breathe a sigh of relief. It’s a rare time when you have a 12 hour period all to yourself when no one can contact you, you can do whatever you want, sleep, read, write in your journal, whatever. You are not expected to call anyone and you don’t need to worry about someone calling you. Unless you foolishly left work to do on the plane, this is the ultimate free time.

Maybe we have already gone too far with the whole “being connected” thing. Maybe these last holdouts who eschew email and the internet are to be admired. I for one am not ready to be implanted with a communication chip that can interrupt whatever I’m doing 24/7 with a beep in my ear signaling to check my email.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

John,
Nice blog.
I remember the first trip I took to Asia after I bought an MP3 player. WOW! I could actually relax and enjoy all that music I had bought over the years - uninterrupted. Amazing and quite a pleasure.
I'm not on Twitter though I now feel like I can't live without Skype. I was on Skype last night with Asia and I pondered how I could do tool debug via Skype and a wireless connection at my vendor. If I can't "Debug by Skype", then I better update my passport and buy some more MP3's.
Best,
Eric