Wednesday, November 2

Stupid Uniden Phone

How come my phone still has the IQ of a tree stump? All it has are the same basic functions that a phone had 20 years ago, but with a built in answering machine that is digital rather than the magnetic tape variety of old. Yes it is wireless so you can carry it around, but that doesn’t make it any smarter, just a little more convenient. Yes it has an intercom function, but that’s not exactly rocket science either, and by the way, we had intercoms 20 years ago too.

I’ve said this before, but here it is again. I want a phone that I can program to not ring during certain parts of the day without my having to mess with it. Is that too much to ask? I just want the damn built in answering system to operate like an automated message system – i.e. I want it to intercept all the calls between, lets say 11 pm and 7 am and politely tell the caller that I’m not available during such and such hours because I’M SLEEPING and please leave a message. I also want the option of offering the caller the power to ring through anyway, if it is an emergency, like if my wife or daughter are in trouble or something.

Since each extension is also coded, I see no reason why my automated message system couldn’t be programmed to ask the caller which extension (person) they want to talk to and just ring that extension if that’s how I want to set it up. This is all totally possible and would cost nothing since the microprocessor and digital memory are already there and the space required to save a couple messages like that would be minimal. So why hasn’t it happened yet? Am I the only person who has ever wanted this kind of functionality? I doubt it.

My current Uniden wireless phone has a base unit with a built-in answering system and three additional extensions and sells for about $100 at places like Costco. It has an intercom feature that is useful if you have a big house, and caller ID so you can answer each call in a different tone of voice depending on whether you like the person or not.

What are the engineers and marketing geniuses at Uniden waiting for? Huh? Will someone please pass this request along to the right genius?

Thank you, I’m going to bed now. Please don’t call me until tomorrow after 7.

No comments: